Is Old Electrical Wiring Dangerous?

Many people don’t think about what’s behind their walls. Every time you turn on a light switch, or use your toaster, you’re drawing current through your home’s wiring. This can lead to serious problems if the wiring is damaged or old. If you’re not careful, overloading older homes’ wiring can cause a fire. So is old electrical wiring dangerous?

Is Old Electrical Wiring Dangerous?

Although old wiring, including knob and tube wiring from the early 20th Century, isn’t necessarily dangerous, it’s impossible to be certain that the electrical system meets current code. Materials such as wire insulation may deteriorate over time. Below, our Electric Bros experts will talk about the age of your home’s wiring and answer the age-old question: is old electrical wiring dangerous? Here’s what your local electrician in Pico Rivera wants you to know!

The Dangers of Outdated Electrical Wiring

Many older homes don’t have enough outlets. Technology has led to an increase in the number of electrical devices found in homes. These electrical devices use too much electricity. The wiring in many older homes is not capable of supporting all of these devices. They can overload electrical circuits, which can eventually cause damage to your electrical devices.

The insulation of electrical wiring can also deteriorate over time. They can also become damaged or worn down with age. Poor electrical insulation is the reason that wiring in older homes just doesn’t work too well. Poor insulation can expose the wire and cause sparks, shocks, or even fires. It is important to identify these problems early and fix them before you move in.

Do You Have Old Wiring in Your Home?

You may have several problems stemming from old wiring in your home that you may not even know about. You should immediately contact your local electricians if you notice any of the following issues:

  • Your power is draining from the lights, causing flickers and dimming patterns.
  • Your circuit breakers constantly trip and fuses end up blown.
  • There appear discolored or dark-colored outlets and switch plates that stay warm to the touch.
  • You smell unusual odors such as a burning smell that you notice but can’t figure out where it comes from.
  • The outlets in your building allow only a 2-pronged plug and not a 3-pronged plug, meaning they are not properly grounded.
  • Ground-fault circuit interrupters are not required nor present near the faucets in your home.
  • Your house was built over 40 years ago, especially during the 60s and 70s.

Your home could also be dangerous if it was built between 1965 and 1973. Back then, they used aluminum wiring, which did not insulate and proved hazardous to the entire electrical system. If you suspect there is aluminum in your home, our pros can get it replaced with a newer alternative right away.

The Best Solutions to Old Wiring Hazards

Professional licensed electricians are the best people to contact for any residential, commercial, or industrial wiring problem. Before taking matters into your own hands, see what can change about your old wires. There prove a few things that homeowners can do on their own to improve electrical safety as well.

You could find yourself overloading circuits or wiring if your ceiling lights dim when you turn on a microwave or vacuum cleaner. Now, you should check the circuit breaker and wiring in that area of your house to ensure safety at all times. You might also consider turning off the main circuit interrupter until you find the cause of the problem. In the meantime, contact Electric Bros!

Rewire Your Building ASAP

If you are worried about the state of your old wires in your home or office building, our Electric Bros are here to help. Learn more about what a residential or industrial electrician in Pico Rivera can do for you when you contact us today. Don’t wait until you trip a wire or cause an electrical fire. Out with the old and in with the new, ASAP!